Tuesday, July 15, 2014

.kindness.

This past Thursday I decided to take a late night trip to Walmart for some unnecessary baking gadgets. Fifty dollars later my husband and I walk out of Walmart and begin to head home. At the red light exiting the parking lot, a homeless man approaches our car. Naturally, I locked my door. Or at least that is what came naturally to me.  After locking my door, I hear the Caucasian, five foot five inch (ish) man with a bruised eye and a patch say, "I'm not going to hurt you..." I honestly felt horrible. Although, I do need to do what I need to do to feel safe and secure, I hated that I made this man feel as if I was scared to talk to him. A split second passes, I rolled down my window and responded to his request for a dollar by saying, "I'm sorry, I don't have cash." He said, "thank you and God bless you."

The light then turned green and we drove away. Still, I felt really badly. I had a pit in my stomach and felt a sense of responsibility to make sure this man and his three friends ate on that hot Thursday night. Nearing home, I convinced Larry to turn the car around and we drive back to the homeless hot spot. We pulled up and I asked the men if they would accept food if we went to McDonalds and got them some burgers. Jacob, the self proclaimed leader of the homeless said, "we aren't in the position to turn anything down, ma'am." I told them to stay there and we would be back.

I walk in McDonalds, a total fish out of water as I haven't ordered anything from there in years. I ordered 4 burgers, 2 large fries, 20 nuggets, and the employee threw in some apple pies for free knowing where they were going. I also had a tray of 4 extra large waters.

 I walk out of the "restaurant" with a big bag of food in one arm, and a large tray in the other. On our drive back to the Walmart parking lot I was upset about forgetting napkins, and Lar assured me they wouldn't mind. I also informed Larry that I wanted to get out of the car because I didn't want them to feel that I was scared of them. We get back to Jacob, Felix, "Old man river," and "Snow." I get out of the car and give them the food and tell them to enjoy their night.

Larry and I get home, go on about our night, and go to bed. The next day I wake up and get ready for my day. My friend Stephen came to pick me up and as we went to leave I realized I had no idea where my wallet was. We looked everywhere imaginable and unimaginable for about an hour. We even fished the trash out of the dumpster and checked the garbage I threw out earlier in the day.

.... NOTHING. After a while of searching, the hunt was looking bleak. Finally I say to Stephen, "the McDonald's bag. I think I set it down in the effing McDonald's bag! I am such an idiot! " I wanted to cry.  I tell Larry what is going on as he franticly (from my perspective, calmly from his perspective) tells me to check my accounts and he will check his (because after a long lecture on how I couldn't help every homeless person I see, my wonderful, good hearted husband paid for their food and I had one of his cards in my wallet as well!) Nothing had been withdrawn from any accounts.   

Stephen and I drive back to the homeless hang out. Only one of the men were there, Felix, and he did not speak English well. I decided to leave a note with him to give to his buddy Jacob. Unlikely option, but better than no option. After writing the note and passing along to Felix, Stephen suggested that we just go into Walmart. I knew that I had my wallet after leaving there, but decided to give it a shot.





We head to customer service in Walmart and ask about my teal wallet. The first girl responded by saying, "is dat lyke, grain (green)?" The next lady says, "I think I did see some 'customers' come bring a wallet in." I decided not to get my hopes up, thinking that there was no possible way that it would be mine. 30 seconds (that seemed like a year) later a worker comes out holding my wallet. I began to cry and informed the worker that she was about to get a big ol' bear hug as I simultaneously wrapped my awkward arms around her.

I walked back over to the original employee that said she thought she had seen it and told her the wallet was returned to it's rightful owner. She then informed me that some 'unusual customers' brought it in earlier.  The employee alluded to the fact that the men were homeless.  My guess is that the 'unusual customer' was Jacob.

Every single item was exactly where it belonged in my wallet. It would have been so easy for these men to charge my credit or debit card, but they didn't. They had literally nothing to lose but their morals. In spite of the current situation they are in, they did the right thing. Aside from being ecstatic about getting my wallet back, I was inspired by Jacob & friends and their act of kindness.

Since last Friday I keep checking to see if he is in his hang out so I can thank him, no such luck just yet. I'm sure I'll see him someday soon so I can properly thank him!


 "A kind gesture can 
reach a wound 
that only 
compassion 
can heal."

No comments:

Post a Comment